John N. Sofos Most-cited JFP Research and Review Publication Awards
These awards were established to recognize top researchers and high-quality research publications and reviews that contribute to the impact of JFP and the field of food safety. The awards are based upon the number of citations of a work by others for papers published five years prior. They are presented by the JFP Scientific Co-Editors at the Editorial Board Reception held each year at the IAFP Annual Meeting.
2020 — Research Paper
- 1st: Yang Liu, Alex Gill, Lynn McMullen, and Michael G Gänzle. Variation in Heat and Pressure Resistance of Verotoxigenic and Nontoxigenic Escherichia coli
- 2nd: Katherine M. Kosa, Sheryl C. Cates, Samantha Bradley, Edgar Chambers, and Sandria Godwin. Consumer-Reported Handling of Raw Poultry Products at Home: Results from a National Survey
- 3rd: Alessandra Riva, Elisa Borghi, Daniela Cirasola, Silvia Colmegna, Francesca Borgo, Ettore Amato, Mirella Maria Pontello, and Giulia Morace. Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus in Raw Milk: Prevalence, SCCmec Typing, Enterotoxin Characterization, and Antimicrobial Resistance Patterns
- Review Paper
- 1st: Miao Guo, Jitender P. Dubey, Dolores Hill, Robert L. Buchanan, H. Ray Gamble, Jeffrey L. Jones, and Abani K. Pradhan. Prevalence and Risk Factors for Toxoplasma gondii Infection in Meat Animals and Meat Products Destined for Human Consumption
2019 — Research Paper
- 1st: Wenting Zeng, Keith Vorst, Wyatt Brown, Bradley P. Marks, Sanghyup Jeong, Fernando Pérez-Rodríguez, and Elliot T. Ryser.. Growth of Escherichia coli O157:H7 and Listeria monocytogenes in Packaged Fresh-Cut Romaine Mix at Fluctuating Temperatures during Commercial Transport, Retail Storage, and Display
- 2nd: Yen T. Ta, Trung Thanh Nguyen, Phuong Bich To, Da Xuan Pham, Hao Thi Hong Le, Giang Nguyen Thi, Walid Q. Alali, Isabel Walls, and Michael P. Doyle.. Quantification, Serovars, and Antibiotic Resistance of Salmonella Isolated from Retail Raw Chicken Meat in Vietnam
- 3rd: Moussa Sory Diarra, Pascal Delaquis, Heidi Rempel, Susan Bach, Colleen Harlton, Mueen Aslam, Jane Pritchard, and Edward Topp.. Antibiotic Resistance and Diversity of Salmonella enterica Serovars Associated with Broiler Chickens
- Review Paper
- 1st: Vania Ferreira, Martin Wiedmann, Paula Teixeira, and Matthew J. Stasiewicz.. Listeria monocytogenes Persistence in Food-Associated Environments: Epidemiology, Strain Characteristics, and Implications for Public Health
2018 — Research Paper
- 1st: Kirsten A. Hirneisen and Kalmia E. Kniel. Comparing Human Norovirus Surrogates: Murine Norovirus and Tulane Virus
- 2nd: Grace Tung, David Macinga, James Arbogast, and Lee-Ann Jaykus. Efficacy of Commonly Used Disinfectants for Inactivation of Human Noroviruses and Their Surrogates
- 3rd: Cangliang Shen, Yaguang Luo, Xiangwu Nou, Qin Wang, and Patricia Millner. Dynamic Effects of Free Chlorine Concentration, Organic Load, and Exposure Time on the Inactivation of Salmonella, Escherichia coli O157:H7, and Non-O157 Shiga Toxin–Producing E.coli
- Review Paper
- 1st: Larry R. Beuchat, Evangelia Komitopoulou, Harry Beckers, Roy P. Betts, François Bourdichon, Séamus Fanning, Han M. Joosten, and Benno H. Ter Kuile. Low–water Activity Foods: Increased Concern as Vehicles of Foodborne Pathogens
2017 — Research Paper
- 1st: Robert L. Scharff. Economic Burden from Health Losses Due to Foodborne Illness in the United States
- 2nd: Sandra Hoffmann, Michael B. Batz and J. Glenn Morris, Jr. Annual Cost of Illness and Quality-adjusted Life Year Losses in the United States Due to 14 Foodborne Pathogens
- 3rd: Michael B. Batz, Sandra Hoffmann and J. Glenn Morris, Jr. Ranking the Disease Burden of 14 Pathogens in Food Sources in the United States Using Attribution Data from Outbreak Investigations and Expert Elicitation
- Review Paper
- 1st: Lothar Beutin and Annett Martin. Outbreak of Shiga Toxin–producing Escherichia coli (STEC) O104:H4 Infection in Germany Causes a Paradigm Shift with Regard to Human Pathogenicity of STEC Strains
2016 — Research Paper
- 1st: Yaguang Luo, Xiangwu Nou, Yang Yang, Isabel Alegre, Ellen Turner, Hao Feng, Maribel Abadias and William Conway. Determination of Free Chlorine Concentrations Needed to Prevent Escherichia coli O157:H7 Cross-contamination during Fresh-cut Produce Wash. J. Food Prot. 74:352–358.
- 2nd: Hong Wang, Yanbin Li, Andrew Wang and Michael Slavik. Rapid, Sensitive, and Simultaneous Detection of Three Foodborne Pathogens Using Magnetic Nanobead-based Immunoseparation and Quantum Dot-based Multiplex Immunoassay. J. Food Prot. 74:2039–2047.
- 3rd: Michelle Danyluk and Donald W. Schaffner. Quantitative Assessment of the Microbial Risk of Leafy Greens from Farm to Consumption: Preliminary Framework, Data, and Risk Estimates. J. Food Prot. 74:700–708.
- Review Paper
- 1st: Colin O. Gill, L. Saucier and W. J. Meadus. Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis in Dairy Products, Meat, and Drinking Water. J. Food Prot. 74:480–499
2015 — Research Paper
- 1st: Marilyn C. Erickson, Cathy C. Webb, Juan Carlos Diaz-Perez, Sharad C. Phatak, John J. Silvoy, Lindsey Davey, Alison S. Payton, Jean Liao, Li Ma, and Michael P. Doyle.. Surface and Internalized Escherichia coli O157:H7 on Field-grown Spinach and Lettuce Treated with Spray-Contaminated Irrigation Water. J. Food Prot. 73:1023–1029.
- 2nd: Geun Woo Park, Leslie Barclay, David Macinga, Duane Charbonneau, Charles A. Pettigrew, and Jan Vinjé. Comparative Efficacy of Seven Hand Sanitizers against Murine Norovirus, Feline Calicivirus, and GII.4 Norovirus. J. Food Prot. 73:2232–2238.
- 3rd: Marilyn C. Erickson, Cathy C. Webb, Juan Carlos Diaz-Perez, Sharad C. Phatak, John J. Silvoy, Lindsey Davey, Alison S. Payton, Jean Liao, Li Ma, and Michael P. Doyle. Infrequent Internalization of Escherichia coli O157:H7 into Field-grown Leafy Greens. J. Food Prot. 73:500–506.
- Review Paper
- 1st: Emily C. Mathusa, Yuhuan Chen, Elena Enache, and Lloyd Hontz. Non-O157 Shiga Toxin-Producing Escherichia coli in Foods. J. Food Prot. 73:1721-1736.
2014 — Research Paper
- 1st: Tong Zhao, Ping Zhao and Michael P. Doyle. 2009. Inactivation of Salmonella and Escherichia coli O157:H7 on Lettuce and Poultry Skin by Combinations of Levulinic Acid and Sodium Dodecyl Sulfate. J. Food Prot. 72:928–36.
- 2nd: Anat Lapidot and Sima Yaron. 2009. Transfer of Salmonella enterica Serovar Typhimurium from Contaminated Irrigation Water to Parsley is Dependent on Curli and Cellulose, the Biofilm Matrix Components. J. Food Prot. 72:618–23.
- 3rd (tie): Anja Klančnik, Bernarda Guzej, Majda H. Kolar, Helena Abromavič and Sonja Smole Možina. In Vitro Antimicrobial and Antioxidant Activity of Commercial Rosemary Extract Formulations. J. Food Prot. 72:1744–52.
- 3rd (tie): Ruchira Mitra, Emilia Cuesta-Alonso, Astri Wayadande, Justin Talley, Stanley Gilliland and Jacqueline Fletcher. 2009. Effect of Route of Introduction and Host Cultivar on the Colonization, Internalization, and Movement of the Human Pathogen Escherichia coli O157:H7 in Spinach. J. Food Prot. 72:1521–30.
- Review Paper
- 1st: Alissa M. Wesche, Joshua B. Gurtler, Bradley P. Marks and Elliot T. Ryser. 2009. Stress, Sublethal Injury, Resuscitation, and Virulence of Bacterial Foodborne Pathogens. J. Food Prot. 72:928–36.
2013 — Research Paper
- 1st: Eric A. E. Garber. 2008. Detection of Melamine Using Commercial Enzyme-linked Immunosorbent Assay Technology. J. Food Prot. 71:590–4.
- 2nd: Jazmin D. Vojdani, Larry R. Beuchat and Robert V. Tauxe. 2008. Juice-associated Outbreaks of Human Illness in the United States, 1995 through 2005. J. Food Prot.71:356–64.
- 3rd: James A. Lowther, Kathleen Henshilwood and David N. Lees. 2008. Determination of Norovirus Contamination in Oysters from Two Commercial Harvesting Areas over an Extended Period, Using Semiquantitative Real-time Reverse Transcription PCR. J. Food Prot. 71:1427–33.
2012 — Research Paper
- 1st: Martijn Bouwknegt, Froukje Lodder-Verschoor, Wim H. M. Van Der Poel, Saskia A. Rutjes and Ana Maria De Roda Husman. 2007. Hepatitis E Virus RNA in Commercial Porcine Livers in The Netherlands. J. Food Prot. 70:2889–95.
- 2nd: Terrance M. Arthur, Joseph M. Bosilevac, Dayna M. Brichta-Harhay, Michael N. Guerini, Norasak Kalchayanand, Steven D. Shackelford, Tommy L. Wheeler and Mohammad Koohmaraie. 2007. Transportation and Lairage Environment Effects on Prevalence, Numbers, and Diversity of Escherichia coli O157:H7 on Hides and Carcasses of Beef Cattle at Processing. J. Food Prot. 70:280–6.
- 3rd (tie): Teck Lok Wong, Lauren Hollis, Angela Cornelius, Carolyn Nicol, Roger Cook and John Andrew Hudson. 2007. Prevalence, Numbers, and Subtypes ofCampylobacter jejuni and Campylobacter coli in Uncooked Retail Meat Samples; J. Food Prot. 70:566–73
- 3rd (tie): Luxin Wang , Yong Li and Azlin Mustapha. 2007. Rapid and Simultaneous Quantitation of Escherichia coli O157:H7, Salmonella, and Shigella in Ground Beef by Multiplex Real-Time PCR and Immunomagnetic Separation. J. Food Prot. 70:1366–72.
- Review Paper
- 1st: Alexandra Lianou and John N. Sofos. 2007. A Review of the Incidence and Transmission of Listeria monocytogenes in Ready-to-Eat Products in Retail and Food Service Environments. J. Food Prot. 70:2172–98.
2011 — Research Paper
- 1st: Jennifer L. Cannon, Efstathia Papafragkou, Geunwoo W. Park, Jason Osborne, Lee-Ann Jaykus and Jan Vinje. 2006. Surrogates for the Study of Norovirus Stability and Inactivation in the Environment: A Comparison of Murine Norovirus and Feline Calicivirus. J. Food Prot. 69:2761–5.
- 2nd: Eric Fugett, Esther Fortes, Catherine Nnoka and Martin Wiedmann. 2006. International life Sciences Institute North America Listeria monocytogenes Strain Collection: Development of Standard Listeria monocytogenes Strain Sets for Research and Validation Studies. J. Food Prot. 69:2929–38.
- 3rd: Mounia Oussalah, Stéphane Caillet and Monique Lacroix. 2006. Mechanism of Action of Spanish Oregano, Chinese Cinnamon, and Savory Essential Oils Against Cell Membranes and Walls of Escherichia coli O157:H7 and Listeria monocytogenes. J. Food Prot. 69:1046–55.